That 70's Bedroom

/
0 Comments
Did you know that I have 12 drafts of posts that I've never completed or posted? So many secrets, so many words of wisdom, so much amazingness that you may never read. C'est la vie.

I'm making a vow to myself that I will post more often (this should last a good 2 weeks). Instead of always trying to post something interesting and thought provoking - it's a habit because I'm so profound in my daily life, like a William Wadsworth Longfellow (I just said him because his name is long and smart sounding) - I'm going to post more randomness that I hope you all will enjoy.

Let me warn you. Random means having no definite aim or purpose; not sent or guided in a particular direction. Done.

 Owen and I are redoing our master bedroom. This decision happened upon us and wasn't something we've been plotting. He wants a king size bed because he's tired of rolling over in my drool and kicking me with his dagger toes. Wait, I'm tired of him kicking me with his dagger toes. He's mentioned purchasing a king mattress and putting it on a frame and just living like that. Like we're frat brothers. I, of course, said absolutely not. I'd rather keep the partial bedroom set that we have now (queen bed with headboard and foot board, one night stand, and tall dresser) than to have a king mattress sitting on a frame. 
     I know what you're thinking "Just make your own super cute headboard out of wood and upholstery, it would be so cute!". Do you even know me? I don't 'do' arts and crafts very well, especially not one where I have to stare at it every night before bed.

    After shutting Owen down he magically and mysteriously found a friend on Facebook who was selling her king bedroom set (two night stands, dresser, sleigh bed) for a low price. The furniture is virtually untouched and very pretty. Owen approached me with the idea of purchasing it and I couldn't say no. We're both getting what we're wanting and for a deal at that. 

    So here we are, bedroom set purchased (to be delivered this Sunday) and a king mattress already delivered. We move quickly. This is when I got super excited an on board. Ooooh the possibilities of things I could do with our room now that we are changing things up. My mind went wild much to Owen's dismay (I should change my blog name to "Much to Owen's dismay" because it's becoming a theme). One great idea I had was to paint an accent wall in our room. All four walls were white so our room could use a little splash of somethin-somethin. I enlisted help of my amazingly talented friend Paisley McDonald. She helped me pick out a paint color, type, etc. Then I told Owen what I planned on doing. He said it was fine but he would not be touching a paint brush. There are few things in life he hates, and painting is one of them. No worries though my friends, my dad was up for the challenge!

    There we are, this past Sunday, paint purchased, furniture moved away from the wall, and parents making their arrival in good ol'South Carolina for the big day. Dad did all of the edging because it freaked me out. I did all of the rolling though. That part was fun. While the painting process was going on my mom had a great idea. We had two light fixtures in our bedroom that hung on either side of the bed. They're big ugly 70's style white balls. They've been there since the 70's I'm sure so it makes sense. They're the one part of the room that I really wanted to change but didn't think I could because I didn't want to hire an electrician to remove them completely and install a light source/fixture in the middle of the room. My mom proposed removing the white balls and replacing them with modern hanging light fixtures. Really cool pretty ones. I never thought of that! I always thought those belonged in the kitchen or over a bar, but the idea of putting them in our bedroom sounded like a really cool touch. Go Mom! 

This is much like what we had except throw 20 years of dust and grime inside.  Apparently these are considered cool and 'vintage' now. I think not Scott.

Oh hi there Dad. Keep up the good work slugger.

    While I painted, Mom and Owen picked out new fixtures and, with the help of dad, worked on installing them. I was the happiest little girl when I saw how big of a difference new fixtures made in our room. So here we are, newly painted wall, new light fixtures, furniture coming and... oh you thought I was done? New bedding coming soon which is the very best part of redoing a bedroom. Oh oops, I didn't mention the super amazing fake flower arrangement I'm putting together. Crafty Carl is back!

    I can't wait to show everyone before and after pics of our masterpiece in the making. I'm never going to want to leave our room when it's all done. It'll be PJ Sunday every day. I might as well quit work and sell my car while I'm at it. I'll pick up a side telemarketing job so that I can at least pay to have mexican food delivered every day.

When everything is complete in our new modern super amazing bedroom, I'll post pics so that you guys will be in love with it just like me, k? No peeking until then.


You may also like

No comments:

Flickr Images

Followers

Popular Posts